National Electronic Library for Medicines
Also found in: Acronyms.
National Electronic Library for MedicinesA comprehensive medicines knowledge base within NHS Evidence (formerly, National Library for Health—NLH), storing and linking to a wide range of medicines information products procured or produced by the NHS. NeLM is the largest medicines information portal for healthcare professionals in the NHS, which promotes the safe, effective and efficient use of medicines. The free service began in 1998 as Druginfozone and has been in operation since. It is funded by the National Knowledge Service (NKS) and the UK Department of Health and updated daily, providing a range of information products, including news, evidence-based reviews on drugs and drug therapy, and health promotion material. It also provides a forum for sharing practice. Much of the current content is provided by the NHS pharmacy medicines information service (UKMI). The vision is to build a system for the integration of knowledge and allow knowledge to be adapted at the local health community level. NeLM is designed and administered by the E-Communications Team at the London and South East Medicines Information Service based at Guy’s Hospital London.
Objectives, National Electronic Library for Medicines
• Develop a “one stop” platform from which users can easily find medicines information that matters in a simple and coherent manner;
• Establish a mechanism for aggregating medicines knowledge to support the NHS Care Record Services (NHS CRS);
• Work with NHS Direct Online to deliver medicines information for patients and the public;
• Produce a local medicines knowledge base for the local health community of Lambeth, Southwark & Lewisham to support local prescribers, reflecting local practice while integrating with national resources of medicines information.
NeLM portal links
• Britism Medical Association
• Department of Health
• electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC)
• Medicines Healthcare product and regulatory Authority (MHRA)
• NHS Direct Online (NHSDOL)
• National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
• National Prescribing Centre (NPC)
• Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPSGB)