NIHR CSPNational Institute of Health Research Coordinated System for gaining NHS Permission. A system in the UK which provides a single point of access for investigators needing permission to conduct research involving NHS patients. The NIHR CSP ensures that all quality assurance and statutory requirements in respect of clinical research are met, through standardising and streamlining the process for gaining NHS Permission in England.
• Provides a single point of entry, via the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS), for investigators applying for NHS permission for single-site and multi-site studies;
• Defines and performs checks that need doing once, and those that need doing for each NHS location/organisation;
• Reduces the turnaround for NHS permissions that meet governance and regulatory requirements;
• Ensures clarity regarding the roles and responsibilities of Sponsors, Investigators, Networks and Trusts;
• Links with other processes alongside NHS review and permission, including gaining ethics and other regulatory approvals;
• Builds time targets into the process;
• Works in parallel to the ethics review and the NIHR CRN Portfolio adoption process;
• Has knowledgeable and dedicated staff, both locally and centrally, to assist in applications and progress towards NHS Permission.