Model ActA legislative template designed for use by the States in the US, which provides them with the powers they need to detect and contain bioterrorism or a naturally occurring disease outbreak.
Public health functions served by Model Act
• Preparedness—comprehensive planning for a public health emergency;
• Surveillance—measures to detect and track public health emergencies;
• Management of property—vaccines, medicines, hospitals; and provide power to abate hazards to the public’s health;
• Protection of persons—powers to compel vaccination, testing, treatment, isolation and quarantine when clearly needed;
• Communication—provide clear and authoritative information to the public.