Mad Honey

Nectar derived from pollens of certain plants—e.g., rhododendron, western azalea, California rosebay, mountain laurel, sheep laurel—containing toxic diterpenes—grayanotoxins; ingestion of ‘mad honey’ causes an abrupt attack that may simulate acute myocardial infarction
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Mad honey poisoning occurs after people consume honey contaminated with grayanotoxin, a chemical contained in nectar from the Rhododendron species ponticum and luteum.
Mad honey poisoning generally lasts no more than 24 hours, with symptoms of the mild form including dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, excessive perspiration, hypersalivation and paraesthesia.
Mad honey poisoning is a well known condition in the Black Sea Region of Turkey.
Site of action of grayanotoxins in mad honey in rats.
A rare cause of atrioventricular block: mad honey intoxication.
The mad honey is widely used as an alternative therapy for the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases such as gastritis, peptic ulcer and the reduction in the coronary artery disease (CAD) risk in Black Sea region of Turkey (1).
In an accompanying editorial, he warns that "(t)oday, cases of mad honey poisoning should be anticipated everywhere (including the United States).
Mad honey is used in the Black Sea region as an alternative medicine for the treatment of gastric pains, bowel disorders, hypertension, and it is believed to be a sexual stimulant (2).
Mad honey intoxication is generally a benign condition.
Nodal rhythm and ventricular parasystole: an unusual electrocardiographic presentation of mad honey poisoning.