flutamide(redirected from Euflex)
APO-Flutamide (CA), Drogenil (UK), Euflex (CA), Novo-Flutamide (CA), PMS-Flutamide (CA)
Pharmacologic class: Antiandrogen
Therapeutic class: Antineoplastic
Pregnancy risk category D
Exerts potent antiandrogenic activity at cellular level by inhibiting androgen uptake or nuclear binding of androgen
Capsules: 125 mg
⊘Indications and dosages
➣ Metastatic prostate cancer
Adults: 250 mg P.O. t.i.d. q 8 hours, given with luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) analog. Total daily dosage is 750 mg.
• Benign prostatic hypertrophy
• Hypersensitivity to drug
• Severe hepatic impairment
• Sleep apnea
• Be aware that leuprolide acetate is the most common LHRH analog given with flutamide.
CNS: drowsiness, confusion, depression, anxiety, nervousness, paresthesia
CV: peripheral edema, hypertension
GI: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, anorexia, dry mouth
GU: erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, gynecomastia, hot flashes
Hematologic: anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia
Skin: rash, photosensitivity
Drug-drug.Warfarin: increased prothrombin time
Drug-diagnostic tests.Alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, blood urea nitrogen, creatine kinase: increased levels
Hemoglobin, platelets, white blood cells: decreased levels
Drug-herbs.Chaparral, comfrey, eucalyptus, germander, pennyroyal, skullcap, valerian: increased risk of hepatotoxicity
Drug-behaviors.Sun exposure: increased risk of photosensitivity
• Monitor CBC and liver function tests.
☞ Watch for bleeding tendency and signs and symptoms of hepatic damage (jaundice, vomiting, dark yellow or brown urine).
• Monitor blood pressure.
☞ Instruct patient to immediately report unusual bleeding or bruising.
• Tell patient to avoid activities that can cause injury. Advise him to use soft toothbrush and electric razor to avoid gum and skin injury.
• Caution patient to avoid driving and other hazardous activities until he knows how drug affects concentration and alertness.
• Instruct patient to minimize GI upset by eating frequent, small servings of healthy food.
• Tell patient he'll undergo regular blood testing during therapy.
• As appropriate, review all other significant and life-threatening adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the drugs, tests, herbs, and behaviors mentioned above.
flutamide/flu·ta·mide/ (floo´tah-mīd) a nonsteroidal antiandrogen, used in the treatment of metastatic prostatic carcinoma.
flutamideEndocrinology A nonsteroidal antiandrogen which, unlike steroidal antiandrogens, lacks androgenic, estrogenic, antiestrogenic, progestational, adrenocortical, and antigonadotropic activity; flutamide has been used for metastatic androgen-responsive prostate CA and, when combined with LHRH analogues, achieves a relatively complete androgen blockade; flutamide has been used to treat acne and hirsutism Adverse effects GI tract–diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, gynecomastia, hepatic dysfunction or toxicity. Cf Nilutamide.
flutamideA drug that opposes male sex hormones (androgens) and is used to treat advances cancer of the prostate gland. Brand names are Chimax and Drogenil.
n brand name: Eulexin;
drug class: antineoplastic;
action: interferes with testosterone at cellular level, inhibits androgen uptake;
uses: metastatic prostatic carcinoma, stage D2 in combination with LHRH agonistic analogs (leuprolide).