Continued use despite knowledge | definition of Continued use despite knowledge by Medical dictionary
caffeine dependence syndrome (redirected from Continued use despite knowledge)
A clinical complex defined by fulfilling 3 of 4 generic criteria for substance dependence from the DSM-IV
caffeine dependence syndrome Substance abuse A clinical complex defined by fulfilling 3 of 4 generic criteria for substance dependence from the DSM-IV. See Coffee, Tea. Cf Caffeine withdrawal syndrome.
Caffeine dependence syndrome–dependency criteria
- Criterion 1, DSM-IV substance dependence, seen in 75% of cohort.
- Symptoms of withdrawal
- in absence of the use of caffeine–Criterion 2, seen in 94%.
- Persistent desire
- or unsuccessful attempt to reduce or control use of caffeine products–Criterion 4, seen in 81%.
- Continued use despite knowledge
- of a persistent or recurrent problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by substance abuse–Criterion 7, seen in 94%.