Also found in: Wikipedia.
(1) A bomb threat requiring evacuation
(2) A violent person or patient in the hospital
(3) A VIP or celebrity in the hospital—i.e., everyone needs to behave
(4) An overloaded emergency department that cannot accept more patients; incoming patients should be diverted to other facilities
(5) A hostage situation
(6) A patient abduction
(7) A psychiatric emergency
(8) A lost or disoriented elderly patient
code purpleVIP-patient plan A contingency plan announced over a hospital's public address system indicating that
1. a VIP or.
2. violent person or Pt is in house. See VIP syndrome. Cf Chief syndrome.
code pur·ple(kōd pŭr'pĕl)
A vague term for an oral directive that varies in meaning from one health care facility to another; in Australia, indicates need for explosive device alert.