Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Patient discussion about cephalgia
Q. Are there different Kinds of Headaches? I noticed that my headaches don't always feel the same way. Are there different kinds of headaches?
1. Tension headaches: caused by stress, fatigue, poor posture, eye strain, tobacco and alcohol use or before and after a period (for women).
2. Migraine headache: Migraine is the cause of 20 per cent of all headaches. This type of headache occurs when blood vessels of the head and neck constrict, resulting in a decrease in blood flow to the vessels.
Q. What are some ways to treat headaches? I have been suffering from headaches for a long time now. How can I treat them?
• Avoid excessive use of alcohol and tobacco.
• Engage in correct posture while sitting and working. The type of chair you use is important. It should be one that maximizes comfort and good posture and may need to be adjusted to suit your needs.
• Perform relaxation techniques on a consistent basis.
• Get plenty of fresh air and exercise.
• Some people find that taking the natural herbal treatment Feverfew is very effective at reducing or preventing their headaches occurring. This needs to be taken daily – even if no headache is present – to have an effect. Consult your GP before starting this.
Q. How common are headaches in fibromyalgia? Recently my friend was diagnosed as fibromyalgia. He often suffers from headaches. How common are headaches in fibromyalgia?