bicalutamide(redirected from Calutide)
Pharmacologic class: Nonsteroidal antiandrogen
Therapeutic class: Antineoplastic
Pregnancy risk category X
Antagonizes effects of androgen at cellular level by binding to androgen receptors on target tissues
Tablets: 50 mg
Indications and dosages
➣ Metastatic prostate cancer
Adults: 50 mg P.O. once daily
• Hypersensitivity to drug
• Women who are or may become pregnant
Use cautiously in:
• previous hypersensitivity or serious adverse reaction to flutamide or nilutamide
• moderate to severe hepatic impairment
• Know that drug is given in combination with luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH).
• Administer at same time each day.
CNS: headache, weakness, dizziness, depression, hypertonia, paresthesia, lethargy
CV: chest pain, peripheral edema, vasodilation, hypertension, thromboembolic disease
EENT: pharyngitis, bronchitis
GI: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, anorexia, dry mouth
GU: urinary tract infection, impotence
Musculoskeletal: bone and back pain
Respiratory: dyspnea, cough
Skin: rash, alopecia
Other: food distaste, weight gain, edema, pain, hot flashes, flulike symptoms
Drug-drug. Warfarin: increased bicalutamide effects
Drug-diagnostic tests. Alanine aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase, bilirubin, cholesterol, BUN, creatinine: increased levels
Hemoglobin, white blood cells: decreased values
• Monitor prostate-significant antigen levels, CBC, and liver and kidney function test results.
• If patient is receiving warfarin concurrently, evaluate prothrombin time and International Normalized Ratio.
• Instruct patient to take drug at same time each day, along with prescribed LHRH analog.
• Tell patient that any drug-related hair loss should reverse once therapy ends.
• As appropriate, review all other significant and life-threatening adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the drugs and tests mentioned above.
bicalutamide/bi·ca·lu·ta·mide/ (bi″kah-loo´tah-mīd) an antiandrogen used in the treatment of prostatic carcinoma.
bicalutamideAn oral non-steroidal antiandrogenic used to manage prostate cancer and hirsutism.
Breast tenderness, gynaecomastia, hot flushes, gastrointestinal disorders, diarrhoea, nausea, elevated transaminases, jaundice, asthenia, pruritus.