famciclovir(redirected from Apo-Famciclovir)
Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Apo-Famciclovir (CA), Famvir, PMS-Famciclovir (CA), Sandoz Famciclovir (CA)
Pharmacologic class: Synthetic nucleoside
Therapeutic class: Antiviral
Pregnancy risk category B
Converts to penciclovir and selectively inhibits DNA polymerase and viral DNA synthesis
Tablets: 125 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg
⊘Indications and dosages
➣ Acute herpes zoster infection (shingles)
Adults: 500 mg P.O. q 8 hours for 7 days
➣ Recurrent genital herpes in immunocompetent patients
Adults: 1,000 mg P.O. b.i.d. for 1 day, starting as soon as symptoms appear
➣ Suppression of recurrent genital herpes
Adults: 250 mg P.O. b.i.d. for up to 1 year
➣ Recurrent herpes simplex infection in patients with human immunodeficiency virus
Adults: 500 mg P.O. b.i.d. for 7 days
➣ Herpes labialis (oral herpes simplex) in immunocompetent patients
Adults: 1,500 mg P.O. as a one-time dose given as soon as symptoms appear
• Renal impairment
• Hypersensitivity to drug or its components
Use cautiously in:
• renal or hepatic impairment
• elderly patients
• pregnant or breastfeeding patients
• children younger than age 18.
• Know that for best response, therapy should begin within 6 hours of onset of genital herpes symptoms or lesions.
• Give with or without food.
CNS: headache, fatigue, dizziness, drowsiness, paresthesia, insomnia
EENT: pharyngitis, sinusitis
GI: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, anorexia
Musculoskeletal: back pain, joint pain
Skin: pruritus, rash
Drug-drug.Digoxin: increased digoxin blood level, increased risk of toxicity
Probenecid: increased blood level of penciclovir (active antiviral compound of famciclovir)
• When giving concurrently with digoxin, monitor digoxin blood level and evaluate for digoxin toxicity.
• Monitor CBC, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, and electrolyte levels.
• Be aware that drug may take several weeks to reach therapeutic level.
• Know that renal failure may raise blood drug level, increasing the risk of adverse reactions.
• Avoid direct contact with infected areas. Wash hands frequently and wear gloves during patient contact.
• Instruct patient to take with food or milk to avoid upset stomach.
• Inform patient that drug doesn't cure herpes but only decreases pain and itching by allowing sores to heal and preventing new ones from forming.
• Advise patient to wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid irritating lesions.
• Tell patient to report rash or itching.
• Instruct female patient to tell prescriber if she is pregnant or breastfeeding.
• As appropriate, review all other significant adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the drugs mentioned above.
famciclovir/fam·ci·clo·vir/ (fam-si´klo-vir) a prodrug of penciclovir used in the treatment of herpes zoster, of herpes genitalis, and of mucocutaneous herpes simplex in immunocompromised patients.
famciclovirAn antiviral drug used to treat SHINGLES and genital HERPES. A brand name is Famvir.
n brand name: Famvir;
drug class: antiviral;
action: converted to active metabolite, peniciclovir triphosphate, which inhibits viral DNA synthesis and replication;
uses: acute herpes zoster (shingles) infection.