References in periodicals archive ?
Hereditary hemochromatosis must be distinguished from other conditions that cause iron overload, such as porphyria cutanea tarda, [beta]-thalassemia, medicinal and transfusional iron overload, and African iron overload (46).
In these populations, African iron overload has been attributed to high iron intake via the consumption of a traditional alcoholic beverage that is brewed in nongalvanized iron utensils (8, 9).
In this study, we reexamined iron status according to TF phenotype in the general population and, in particular, in subjects at risk of African iron overload.
In African iron overload, heterozygous TF CD individuals might be partly protected from increased iron accumulation.
Individuals with increased TS values were selected because they may potentially have an iron-loading condition such as hereditary hemochromatosis, African iron overload, or one of the various forms of secondary iron overload.
Is there a link between African iron overload and the described mutations of the hereditary haemochromatosis gene?
The subjects were 178 volunteers from rural Swaziland and rural Zimbabwe, who were studied from 1993 to 1995 as part of an investigation of families with African iron overload and of community members with a history of traditional beer consumption.
Eighty-eight of the subjects were enrolled as part of a study of families with African iron overload, and 62 subjects were enrolled as part of a study of community members with a history of traditional beer consumption.
In the present study, we provide evidence that circulating transferrin receptor concentrations are inversely and significantly proportional to indirect measures of the size of the body's iron stores, and that receptor concentrations are significantly less in subjects with African iron overload than in normal and iron-deficient subjects.
Sideroblastic anemia Hereditary atransferrinemia Porphyria cutanea tarda Neonatal hemochromatosis Transfusional iron overload African iron overload [beta]-Thalassemia Postportocaval shunt X-linked iron-loading anemia Chronic hemodialysis Pyridoxine-responsive anemia Medicinal iron overload Pyruvate kinase deficiency Table 2.
Medical browser ?
- AFORMED phenomenon
- Africa Connection
- African American
- African Black
- African Bush
- African endomyocardial fibrosis
- African Enigma
- African Green Monkey Kidney Cell
- African hemorrhagic fever
- African histoplasmosis
- African Holistic Health
- African iron overload
- African lymphoma
- African mango
- African relapsing fever
- African rock python
- African sleeping sickness
- African subkingdom
- African swine fever
- African Swine Fever Virus
- African tick bite fever
- African tick fever
- African tick typhus
- African tick-bite fever
- African trypanosome
- African trypanosomiasis
- African Woodbine
- Africanised Bee
- Africanized honeybee
Full browser ?
- African Index Medicus
- African Indian Ocean Geographic Region
- African Indigenous and Minority Peoples Organization
- African Indigenous Women's Organization
- African Information Society Gender Working Group
- African Information Society Initiative
- African Information Society Youth Network
- African Information Technology Exhibitions and Conferences
- African Infrastructure Fund Holding
- African Initiative for Democratic World Order
- African Initiative on Ageing
- African Initiative on Mining, Environment and Society
- African Inland Church
- African Inland Mission
- African Institute for Applied Economics
- African Institute for Capacity Development
- African Institute for Community Driven Development
- African Institute for Contemporary Mission and Research
- African Institute for Economic Development and Planning
- African Institute for Higher Technical Training and Research
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Schools Enrichment Centre
- African Insurance Organization
- African Intellectual Property Organization
- African International Shopping Mall
- African Internet Connectivity
- African Internet Development Action Team
- African Internet Governance Forum
- African Investment Advisory
- African Iron Horse Rodeo
- African iron overload
- African Irrigated Rice Advanced Trial
- African Irrigated Rice Observational Nursery
- African Irrigated Rice Preliminary Screening Set
- African Itinerant College for Culture and Development
- African jade
- African jade
- African Jesuit AIDS Network
- African Joint Effort
- African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation and Dance
- African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
- African Journal of AIDS Research
- African Journal of Biomedical Research
- African Journal of Biotechnology
- African Journal of Business Management
- African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology
- African Journal of Criminology and Justice Studies
- African Journal of Environmental Assessment and Management
- African Journal of Food and Nutritional Sciences
- African Journal of Food Science
- African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development
- African Journal of Information and Communication Technology
- African Journal of International Affairs
- African Journal of Medical Practice
- African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences
- African Journal of Oral Health
- African Journal of Oral Health Sciences
- African Journal of Paediatric Surgery
- African Journal of Political Science and International Relations
- African Journal of Public Administration and Management
- African Journal of Range and Forage Science