acai(redirected from Açái)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
acai berry(trade name),
acai extract(trade name),
acai fruit(trade name),
amazon acai(trade name),
cabbage palm(trade name)
Hypercholesterolemi.Osteoarthritis, erectile dysfunction, weight loss and obesity, detoxification, aging skin, and metabolic syndrome.
ClassificationTherapeutic: lipid lowering agents
In vitro, acai pulp and skin powder has potent antioxidant activity against superoxide and peroxyl radical. It also inhibits cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and COX-2 in vitro.
Reduced total cholesterol levels.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
Contraindicated in: No known contraindications.
Use Cautiously in: Pregnancy.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
- None reported.
InteractionsNone reported.None reported.
Oral (Adults) 100 g acai pulp twice daily for metabolic syndrome.
Acai Smoothie Pack: 100 g acai pulp
- Assess areas relevant to rationale for taking acai.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesDeficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family Teaching)
- As a food, the acai berry is eaten raw and as a juice. The juice is also used commercially as a beverage and in ice cream, jelly, and liqueurs.
- Discuss with patient purpose for taking acai.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Decrease in cholesterol.
- Evaluate based on rationale for taking acai.
an antioxidant extract from a Brazilian berry used in skin products and juices.